FenceART is a year-round public art project directed by Ellen Fisher. It is dedicated to bringing vibrant, varied, and engaging art to neighborhoods throughout Newton. Each year a jury-chosen group of 20 works by Newton artists, embracing a broad range of styles and media, are printed on high-quality vinyl banners. The banners rotate in small groups to 5 viewable fence locations in Newton for approximately 10 weeks at a time. Over the course of a year, all 20 works are shown at all 5 locations.
This program is supported in part by a grant from the Newton Cultural Council, a local agency that is supported by the Mass Cultural Council, a state agency. Additional support is provided by: Newton Community Pride and Newton Open Studios.
The 5 Locations
– Newton Free Library, (parking lot entrance).
– Newton Senior Center, Walnut St at Walnut Place.
– Watertown St at Bridge St, (next to Colletti-Magni Park).
– Good Shepherd Church, (Beacon St fence next to the Waban bridge.)
– Newton Cemetery, (Beacon Street fence, facing Cold Spring Park entrance).
Many thanks to Good Shepherd Church and Newton Cemetery, for hosting the banners!