Halloween Window Decorating
Friday, October 23, 2020 - Saturday, October 24, 2020
The 2020 Newton MA Halloween Window Decorating Event is coming up on Friday, October 23 and Saturday October 24, 2020.
The event, now in its 21st year will look a little different this fall, but still remains a wonderful tradition in Newton-providing a safe and fun opportunity for Newton area students, as well as their friends and family, to celebrate Halloween and express their artistic side.
The event is open to Newton kids in Grades 3-8 and registration is only $10. This year we will be following Covid-19 guidelines and are asking students to make their artwork at home. Each artist will be assigned a merchants’ window in Newton’s participating villages on which to put up their masterpiece.
The subject matter ranges from jack o’ lanterns, ghosts, goblins, witches, owls, to black cats and more, and each artist has their own particular take on the haunted holiday.
2020 NEWTON HALLOWEEN WINDOW DECORATING CONTEST
I. Date, Time
- Friday October 23 and Saturday October 24 – specific time to be coordinated with participating business. All posters must be hung by 4:00 p.m. Saturday 10/24.
- Face coverings are required while coordinating with the business and/or taping your poster to the assigned window. Keep 6 feet distance from others outside of your household during the taping of your poster to the assigned window
- Posters will remain on display in the assigned window until November 4, 2020, at which time the participant should arrange to pickup the poster from the business.
- In certain circumstances, posters will need to be taped to the outside of the windows which is acceptable as long as the participant has made a previous agreement with the business. In this case, the removal date may prior to 11/4.
- You agree to submit by email one photo of your finished and hung poster to email@example.com. You agree to allow any photos you submit for the organizers to be included in a virtual photo exhibit, future marketing materials and any additional communication the organizers deem appropriate.
II. Poster and Supplies
- Each participant will create his/her own Halloween themed art poster using white poster board 22” x 28”. You may use any art materials (paint, markers, crayons, mixed media etc.) to create your poster. The poster will be taped to a window so do not use materials that will add weight to the piece and adversely impact the ability to stick to the window. Participant is responsible for acquiring their own supplies for the project. Participants receive a 20% discount on these supplies at Learning Express in Newton Centre when mentioning “Halloween Window Decorating” at checkout. Thank you Learning Express!
- Each participant will make a name placard no larger than 8.5” x 11”, to be taped next to the poster listing your name (first, last), school and grade.
- Each participant will coordinate with the business and select a convenient time on Friday Oct. 23 or Saturday Oct. 24 to tape the poster and name placard.For COVID safety reasons, please allow someone from the business to tape the poster and name placard to the inside of the window rather than the participant if they are agreeable to do so.
III. Poster Rules
- Poster must have a Halloween theme.
- No images of violence, political views or profanity. Failure to obey this rule may result in your poster being removed.
- Poster size is 22″ w x 28″ standard white poster board. Poster will be taped using masking tape or blue painters’ tape on the assigned business window according to the needs of the business. Participant will supply the tape and should confer with the business about the type they prefer.
- Participants may NOT remove any signs, logos or other material from the business window. If there is a question about placement of the Halloween art, please ask the business directly.
- Only one participant is allowed per window. No switching of window assignments allowed.
IV. Poster Pointers
- Sketch your poster ahead of time on a piece of paper.
- Large scale drawing results in the best visual experience for the public. Try to avoid small details as they often do not appear clearly on finished product.
- Leave a 1inch border around the poster to allow for the taping.
- Contact the business where you are assigned well in advance of the taping date. Make a plan to arrive at a convenient time for both you and the business. It is best to allow the business to hang the poster and name placard, so you do not have to enter the building.
THANK YOU FOR PARTICIPATING AND HAVE FUN!
Email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Call in questions to Newton Cultural Development 617-796-1540